Saturday, February 6, 2010

Today I Laughed




"There is a time for everything. . . a time to weep, a time to laugh. . . " (Ecclesiastes 3:1,4)

Today has been a time to laugh. Our 7 y.o. granddaughter and her 5 y.o brother are with us for an overnight and will return home early in the morning. We've run, we've played. We built a scrawny snowman that, per her assessment, "looks like an alien." We played snowball tag this morning. We're eating whatever they want and whatever quantity of it they desire. We hid in the dark basement from Nana. We played Uno. We made popcorn and watched Princess Diaries 2 due to her pleading and in spite of his dismay. Judging by the look on his face you'd have thought we were watching Princess Diarrhea 2. I found myself watching the kids about as much as I watched the movie. Their expressions, their spontaneous reactions are funnier than any movie.

I laugh at their explanations of body reactions. e.g., "Mommy knows how to burp; she just swallows her spit." I laugh at the names they've given to certain body parts; dual appendages of the male anatomy are referred to, in hushed tones, as "donkers."

We make faces; we belch as loud as we can. We get it all out of our system--for tomorrow they will have to resume behaving. For the time being, it's like the UFC in that there are no holds barred. It's a free-for-all. The difference is we engage no fists, just fits--fits of laughter and joy.

Today is a time to laugh. And I am.

2 comments:

Tim from NY said...

How about this one: Farts are when my fanny coughs.

Steve said...

Tim, I will restrain myself and not share that with the kids. Thanks for the laugh. Their mother would be less than thrilled if tomorrow morning in Sunday School one of them blurted out, "My grandpa said. . . "