Thursday, August 19, 2010

You Matter: God's Unique Love


You are unique. . . just like everybody else.

Sometimes the uniqueness thing escapes me. There are times when I wonder about God's specific, unique love for me as an individual. On a good day, I can grasp his love for mankind in general and I constitute 1 of 6,700,000,000 mankind units; consequently, God loves me, too. That's the good news. The bad news is; it feels like he loves me just like he loves everybody else. We're globs of walking hemoglobin and God loves the whole mess. Not exactly inspiring.

I had an "aha" moment. Insight can come through a simple story. John Ortberg in
God is Closer Than you Think tells this about his grandmother.

"When anyone asked her which of her six children she loved the most, she said love for your children doesn't work that way. She said it's as if when each child is born, another little room gets added to your heart. And no one else occupies that room. It doesn't have to be bigger or better than any other room. It's just
theirs."

I get it! This helps me understand how God can have a unique, unequaled regard for me--that I, Steve Harris, matter to him.

A simple story conveying a profound truth. I hope it encourages you, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A simple but beautiful story. I like simple...:) Enjoy your weekend, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Honestly and interestingly, I am perplexed by the concern. When I believed in God, it didn't matter what He thought of me, I knew He loved me and everyone else the same. His omniscience and omnipotence were enough proof to me that he was not petty or stupid enough to exclude. How could He be? The fellowship I share with all of manking, in His love, was great. I was soon convinced that He really wasn't all that tolerant. Sad day for me because I knew no one as powerful and as loving as that could not possibly exist and behave in ways that Christians were teaching me.